Thursday Thoughts: If you could go back to when you were diagnosed what would you tell yourself?

As the end of the year is near many of us not only go into hibernation mode, but reflection mode too.

It’s not just an end of a year in 2019 but an end of a decade/an era.

Many of us were diagnosed in this decade. Others of us were just starting out on our health journeys, were coming into a place of acceptance or reached a goal of remission.

Take some time today to reflect on the wisdom you have acquired.

What do you know now that you wish yourself knew back then? Comment below!

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE this one!

If I could go back to the day I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, I’d tell myself to believe the diagnosis. I’d urge myself to not tell the therapist and doctors to buzz off and storm out. That I am very sick and need help, even if I don’t feel that way.

I’d tell myself to have faith- that the next 4 years will be full of fear and uncertainty, but boy is it worth it!

1 Like

You got this and you’ll change the narrative around HIV/AIDS

2 Likes

This is an awesome question!!!

I would definitely tell my 12 year old self that the doctor did not give me a death sentence. My life would change, but it would not be over. I could still have the same dreams and aspirations I once had and could still reach for the stars!!!

Here I am 21 yrs later, still living life to the best of my ability and loving every bit of it!!!

1 Like

If I could go back to 2009 when I received a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, I would remind myself that it’s not a death sentence, so to speak. It is highly misunderstood and appears research is still ongoing to discover its origins. In fact, I had never heard the word before the day I was diagnosed. Regardless, I assumed that it was how things would be from that day forward and succumbed to a type of “disabled” frame of mind. I would learn about how pain works and more about my body to take control of my health, as opposed to allowing physicians to determine what was in my best interest. I followed their suggestions without questioning any of it.
Looking back, I can see how I was overwhelmed with many medical conditions and was in a panic to relieve any of my symptoms in any way I could. So, if I went back I would do the following:
Restrict my diet to encourage a healthier intake
Move forward with stretching and exercise
Maintain mental well-being and a balanced frame of mind and soul
Question all the diagnosis and treatment plans

I do not regret my decisions, but I do wish that hindsight was more than 20/20! I wish it had its own time machine! :wink:

1 Like

If I were diagnosed today I would say your life is changing now and not over. Research things for yourself and debate the doctors opinions its your body you only get 1. You are beautiful and desirable be honest with yourself and others

1 Like

I would ask my 27 year old stroke surviving self, but did you die? You will bounce back and you will inspire others because nothing about you is defeated, no matter what the doctors say. Get up! You got this!

2 Likes

Find the Lemonade

This condition is hell. It is torture. It will take everything from you.

But the only way you will survive is by finding something worth living for–something worth fighting for.

Don’t let your CRPS stop you from fighting.
CRPS doesn’t make you weak, it makes you stronger. Find that strength and hold on.

Remember it always gets better again but when it seems like it’s taking too long to mellow out, then stop focusing on yourself and focus on someone else. Best natural pain reliever is the joy you get helping others. It makes the pain of life worth living. Hold on to it.

Find the thing you’re going to fight for–whether it be family, friends, church, pets, your community-- and never let go.

Don’t be afraid to dream. You’re more capable than you know.

Your condition isn’t a liability, it’s an asset. Don’t let it stop you. Don’t let it define you.
I’m proud to be fighting back not only against CRPS, but against society.

I’m going to be the only disabled woman in the US House of Representatives because I refuse to give up.

We are better and stronger than anyone imagines.
We are warriors!!

www.Siebe2020.com

2 Likes

As I read the question tears swelled in my eyes. I was taken back to Ben Taub General Hospital the HIV/AIDS wing in Houston Texas, laying in bed with my parents and one of my sisters in the room. The doctor came in with my results and asked my family to step out.
I asked them to stay. That would be one thing I would change, I would ask to be alone so that I could go through the emotions. I held back to not let them know how terrified I was.
As usual I downplay a situation and made a joke about my hair growing back and being able to walk out. I was brought in to the hospital in a wheelchair. I did walk out and my hair is back.
If I could go back to that day and talk to that frail man laying in bed. Diagnosed with AIDS, Primary Tuberculosis Pneumonia, Stomach Infection. All of 130 lbs and no dreams or goals.
I would tell him, "This is your chance to use your voice. Go back to school and get that degree. The family will learn to support you in the way that you needed. Not now, but they will.
You will find love and it will be everything you ever dreamed it would but you have to make some changes. Stop doing drugs, stop drinking, and please stop smoking. You’ve learned enough now about the effects to talk to others about it.
Most important, start a journal, take photos, keep records of your journey. We have a long way to go and you’ll want to share with others. You have the potential to be the voice for a generation of Latinos. Get it together, Garza!"

3 Likes

I would tell myself to be your own advocate. I’d also would make sure that I would get a second opinion. I was misdiagnosed with lung cancer and went through 4 years of chemotherapy and radiation for a misdiagnosis.

2 Likes

Love this!
I would tell my 13 year old self that I was beautiful no matter what. I would tell myself to always be my own advocate, best friend. That I would spend the rest of my life in pain but I would always be ok. That surgeries are a part of the only treatment available and I will always be ok during all these times. And that I will one day be able to use all my pain and suffering as a platform to help others and advocate for changes in our community.

1 Like

I would tell myself that asthma is a serious illness and that I need to research all of the treatment options for it. I would tell myself that the only way the medications work is to take them as they are prescribed. I would tell myself to listen to my body and pay attention to its needs. I would remind myself over and over again that if I don’t love and care for myself first, then I will not be able to help anyone else. And I would never stop saying that I am worth every bit of care and love that I give to myself.

1 Like

I’m not sure, to tell you the truth. If anything I will hug that lonely guy who was not able to tell anyone that he could die next day. It hasn’t been easy, 35 years after my diagnosis. I know without a doubt that I had been helping many people in my life, but also, I had angels always present giving me a hand at the most unexpected moments. I guess, to pay more attention to relationships, meaning dating and lovers, because it is still a dream to not keep going in my journey alone. Anyway, trying to stay present, balance had always being my favorite word, and I learned a long time ago that

*HIV%20LTS%20FACEBOOK%20COVER%20PHOTO

balance is not equal equilibrium, but to know where to lean to when necessary

. Sending love to all kinds of survivors ( you know who you are), but especially pandemic survivors, who are SURVIVING STILL.

2 Likes

It is NOT WEAK to need help…
Don’t be afraid to ask for it! :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
I was diagnosed with MS in aug/2000, if I could go there I would change a lot of things, first the way I eat, then my habits this is pushing my body to the limit, aware with hot places, I would search the best medicine available, switching the therapeutic approach. I should have had more respect with MS!

1 Like

I would tell myself that I have to keep advocating for my health, whether it be about menopause symptoms as an aging female, my UTI which wasn’t a UTI at all but bladder cancer which is more of a men’s disease but women also get, or my IBS which just this week turned out to be more than IBS and a twisted colon. I know my body and mind best and when something isn’t working correctly or feeling well, it’s important to take action even if doctors don’t listen the first time around.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, Kristen!!! <3

Awesome! You sure have :slight_smile:

Omg, yes! I would tell myself the same.

1 Like

I so resonate with what you said! Thank you so much for sharing.